Saturday, December 5, 2009

"Sunflowers" - A gift for my new friend


When I first met Laurie, I knew she would become a good friend for life.  She is sunshine in a room.   Not long after we met at work, I was inspired to do a paintng for her.  I showed her a picture in the book, "The Captain's Garden, A Reflective Journey Home Through the Art of Paul Landry."  She liked it - the decor in her house is nautical country and it would fit in nicely.  I like Paul Landry's work.  Very old New England - lots of misty waterfronts, sail boats on calm water at dusk, and cottages with flower gardens and white picket fences.  All the images of what I thought New England looks like before I moved here.
     Laurie is a considerate person.  She insisted on giving me a gift in return.  I said no but made one request.  "Just get me a blank canvas to replace the one I used."  Hey, you never know when a new friend will drop into your life.
     Lessons Learned and Hindsight - When the people you give your paintings to frame them, you know they like them.  But when someone not only frames the painting but installs a picture light over it, then you know she really likes it.  Laurie loves her painting.